>>>>

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Building Houses, Building Friendships!

KY_Apr2014 220
Love these girls!  How fun they are to be around!

We joked and laughed and encouraged and arm twisted – they came to me right off and said that they wanted some help in NOT being so matchy matchy…and every time I made a suggestion it was….”I don’t know if I can do that!  You want me to put what where?!?”

Hahahaha!  But by the end of the day they HAD pushed their boundaries and the houses were so much more interesting because of the fun mix of fabrics they were finally allowing themselves to put next to each other.

Sometimes it is baby steps when it comes to letting go and letting the scraps play where they might class a bit more loudly than you are used to, but it makes for a much more fun quilt to work on, and the blocks never get boring this way!  Go for the unpredictable!

KY_Apr2014 212

Neighborhoods growing as houses are erected one by one!

KY_Apr2014 216

Once we get them “On the tilt”  They get really fun!

KY_Apr2014 218

Happy Houses, Indeed!

I’ve uploaded all the other photos into a slide show for your viewing pleasure!

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device. You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Happy Scrappy Houses, Carrollton, KY 2014


After class was done, and the van was loaded --I did what I'd been wanting to do since Monday --It was only 4pm and I had an hour to head downtown and check out that antique shop that was closed on Monday when I had walked by.

And I found THIS:


Vintage Iron Love!

This is a twin to the same universal iron I already have, but this one is like brand new, never been used, in its own original carrying case which says "travel iron and sewing kit."  SEE the goodies in the lid??  It also has the original box!  I'm
tickled to find it!

I'm on my way home this morning -- who knows what goodies I'll find along mjy route -- it's going to be a long day.  It's a 9 hour drive.  The MP3 player is loaded with audio books and I'm hitting the road...

Catch you from home!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

13 comments:

  1. I love the crazy fabrics in those houses. It will make the neighborhood sing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I told the ladies that there was no "Home Owners Association" for this neighborhood and they could make them as crazy as they wanted! :) It's more fun that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric tell the tale...these are fun houses!!!

    Believe it or not, I have a hard time with wonky!!! YUP, I am dyslexic and that idea drives my mind into weird travels :) BUT, I can use those houses... gonna make a NON-wonky house quilt!!!!

    Thank Bonnie, you should be heading home soon. BUSY time to be driving, stay safe.
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got to go back to the antique store...was well worth it!! Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a very fun class. What an incredible find that iron was! Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun fabrics, (I LOVE FABRIC) and as i have always known, make fun houses!! I made four or five a few years back, it's time to visit 'ole' orphan box and make some more wonky neighborhoods. inspired to sew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such cute houses and fun students you have my dear! Congrats on the vintage iron find -- what a score!! Safe travels home. Hugs, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm one of those matchy-matchy people who has a hard time making scrap quilts, but I love scrap quilts. Your mystery,Orange Crush, helped me overcome my coordinating tendencies. I didn't know where pieces were going to end up, so I couldn't make them blend with their neighbors. At last! I made a scrap quilt without angst!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you got to go back to the Antique shop that was closed. That Iron was just waiting for you there! Perfect to be in the box, too. One for the cabin? I made a house quilt with "out of my box fabrics and it is so busy, I just can't seem to finish it. Perhaps if I add the wonky-ness to the blocks it would work better. It will be nice for you to get home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the iron! Which brand is it? I have a General Mills one that I love. But there is always room for another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These blocks are so much fun. I love all the variations and possibilities. And the wonkiness--duh! Such an obvious variation, but it would have slipped right be me, left to my own devices. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that same Universal iron too! I love mine!! Like yours, I don't think they were ever used much, if at all. Everything is intact and looks brand new.

    When I first got it, I unfolded the handle and like to have never figured out how to get it to fold back down again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! Please tell me that wonder iron with sewing kit came home with you! What a great find. I want one, too! I'll have to add it to my antique hunting list.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)