>>>>

Saturday, October 14, 2017

A Rochester Pineapple Blossom Day!

20171013_170438
It was a Pineapple Blossom Day yesterday!

And it was wonderful to see so many blocks made during our day together – most folks were leaving with 8 or more blocks completely finished and eager to do some more!

It’s great to do intricate patterns that really challenge us.  We’ve got to push our boundaries.  That said, it is also refreshing to do something SIMPLY SCRAPPY and enjoy ourselves while not turning ourselves in knots in the process.

Simple blocks allow us to visit and chat and laugh with one another and we really enjoyed our time!

20171013_212046


Press those chains!

20171013_211605

Watch those blocks grow!

Simple chain piecing is a quilter’s greatest pleasure!  Get in the zone, make a whole string!

20171013_212340

A busy class full, sewing up a storm!

20171013_212246-001

See the little vintage suit case behind?

I loved this whole scene – the classic Bernina, and the little travel case that holds all of the quilting goodies for class – AND – has the sample block pinned to the lid for reference!

20171013_110027

Shine a light on, baby!

This is Hope’s machine – and she purchased an LED light strip at a local chain auto supply store – the whole thing cost her $15.00 and the light is amazing!  It has a switch she has attached to the right end of her machine with the self stick tape it came with.  $15.00!!!  Light strips like this in the quilting industry are $59.99 and more!  I don’t have the brand, I don’t know the store – but if I find out more I’ll let you know!

IMG953958

Shouting out to Ontario, Canada friends!

Can you read the caption?

“What happens with Bonnie… stays with Bonnie!” LOL!


Great job, everyone! It was amazing to lay out our blocks together at the end of the day and see the progress we made.

You’ll catch the rest of our day in the slide show below.  Click the arrow on the screen to start he video.  Remember, if you see a black screen, you are likely on IE.  Change browsers to Chrome.  Or view on my YouTube channel.

Y
You'll find the pattern for Pineapple Blossom under the Free Patterns tab at the top of the blog.  Have you made one?


Donna, the Canadian Contingency (Irene and Evelyn) and I headed out after class to do a bit of sight seeing along the Erie Canal.

20171013_180512

What an important place in history the canal represents!

20171013_172833

Some autumn color, and lots of reflection!

20171013_172939

Bird in flight!

20171013_175833

What a wonderful way to stretch our legs!

20171013_211245

Just beautiful!

Early to bed for me after dinner at a Mexican place.  So yummy – not as much sewing has happened this trip as I had hoped! But that’s okay.  Life happens first, quilting happens second, right?

Today we’ve got Texas Braid from Adventures with Leaders & Enders up on deck – I wish I were making another one along with everyone else! 

We have a group dinner planned for tonight, and then tomorrow I’ll make my journey home and get packing for CHINA!  Can you believe I leave on THURSDAY? 

Excitement mode is creeping up on me!

10_14_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Grand Illusion quilt shared during my visit with the Snow Country Quilters of Remsen NY this week.

Make eye contact and smile. Look deeper within. The stranger you are talking to has worth beyond measure.

As do you.

Have a wonderful Saturday, everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I have made a few Pineapple Blossom blocks. They are so fun and the scrappier, the better. You make everyone feel like someone! Your scrappy, Happy attitude is SEW contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always frustrating to see the price of a product increased 3-5 times more when it is marketed to quilters. I'm always looking for hacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bonnie I love your blog. I have 3 of your books and the special ruler. I live in South Africa. I heard at our festival you run a mystery quilt or a challenge every year. I follow you on Facebook as well. Will you notify us in one of these ways about the challenge or mystery. I do not want to miss it. Enid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie starts her mystery on the day after American Thanksgiving, so this year it will start Nov24. Sometime. Ahead of that she will post the colors she used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a Pineapple Blossom quilt as a throw size, in sherbet colored batiks, for a 5 year old whose home burned down the week before Thanksgiving. It's one of the fastest quilts I ever made as I wanted to get it to her as soon as possible. It was a fun quilt to make and I should do another one. It was great to see you again at the lecture on Thurs.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to put the Pineapple Blossom Quilt on my list to do -- it's beautiful. And that light -- I love it I would be very interested in knowing more if you find out anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bonnie. What would we do without you. No matter where we go, whether a quilt group there or not, you are always here on the web. Thank you, thank you.

    Barby, MH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:19 PM EDT

    why do quilters all look alike after age of 50?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sharing always gives me a "Case of the Wants". So much fun to be in a class. You are still on my bucket list.

    The LED light string sounds marvelous. Can you share the name of the Tire Supply Store. Wouldn't be surprised most of the stores carry.

    Keep up the excitement for quilting and life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being born and raised in California, I had no idea, other than the song, of what the was the Erie Canal. Then we drove through New York to Boston and I could actually see parts of it that were no longer in use. It really tied it all together for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought that LED lighting was awesome so I did a Google and found this in daylight colour https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/1m-single-colour-led-strip-lights-60-led-m-3528-3-5-x-2-8mm-4-8-watts.html?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~61756684305~kw~~mt~~cmp~PLA%20-%20LED%20Strip%20Lights~ag~LED%20Strip%20lights&gclid=CjwKCAjwjozPBRAqEiwA6xTOYMcqTHq2zPUb4wIi7lnoY_lvJ3-nPM3nrQ_vQne3_mH2nWn9lfy2FhoCS2gQAvD_BwE I am in the UK but I am sure if you Google LED daylight strip you will find it quite easily over the pond. Tip do look for the self adhesive strip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found the sewing maching tick on lights on Amazon. Search for "YouVogue Sewing Machine Lighting Kit, Attachable LED Daylight Sewing Light Strip Kit ,Fits All Sewing Machines ". They are under $15 ! amazing price. I haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)